Vehicle Registration (Decals/Passes)
On post registration…
- Effective 1 Sep 2012, Military members, family members, Government Employees, Government Contractors and those otherwise previously issued a DoD Decal will be required to show a Common Access Card, a Military identification card, or approved Government issued identification such as State Drivers License or State Issued identification to gain access onto Fort Lee. Department of Defense decals on privately owned vehicles will no longer be issued after 31 August 2012.
- ALARACT 343/2011 eliminated vehicle registration requirement for DoD decals as a mandatory requirement for access to military installations.
- You don't have to remove current decals off your vehicle. The decals will be accepted until their expiration date and current policy still applies. All vehicles driven onto Fort Lee are still required to be properly licensed, registered and insured according to state and local laws. Those entering the installation are subject to a 100 percent identification check and all vehicles continue to be subject to inspection by security personnel
Requirements for Operation of Vehicles on the Installation:
Drivers must be able to show
- Valid driver’s license
- Current vehicle registration
- Proof of current insurance
- Current vehicle registration
Most of Fort Lee’s gates are equipped with electronic RapidGate®. To use these lanes, you must obtain a RapidGate® ID. The system scans your RapidGate® ID card. RapidGate® registration is conducted at DUKES WELCOME CENTER bldg 5228 adjacent to the Lee Ave Gate. The office is open weekdays from 7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. The phone number is 734-4593. For more information visit the RapidGate® website at: http://www.eidpassport.com
Virginia Driver's License
A Non-Resident active duty soldier and their family members stationed in Virginia who hold a valid state driver's license from another state are not required to obtain a Virginia Driver's license.
A Resident active duty soldier and their family members stationed in Virginia must obtain a Virginia Drivers License.
Soldiers and family members can obtain their driver's licenses and get their vehicles registered at 4401 Crossings Boulevard, Prince George, or 120 Wagner Road,Petersburg.
You will need original documents https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf that prove the following:
- Legal presence in the United States
- Social security number, if you have been issued one
- Virginia residency
The owner must bring current proof of the out of state registration, if applicable; the lien holder's name and address; and proof of insurance.
Regardless of status of home of record, the state requires vehicles to have minimum liability insurance.
Regardless of status or home of record, the state requires vehicles to have Virginia minimum liability insurance of $25,000 bodily injury per person, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury and $20,000 for property damage.
Seat belts are required at all times while driving on post; infant car seats are required; minimum amount of liability insurance is required; parking of motor vehicles is authorized only in those areas/spaces designated for parking. Speed limit on Fort Lee is 25 mph unless otherwise posted.
Phone: (804) 765-7505 or (804) 765-7645