House Watch Program
The Fort Lee Provost Marshal’s Office offers a service that helps protect post quarters and their contents while the residents are away.
The House Watch Program is available when residents will be gone three or more days for vacation, an extended temporary duty assignment or deployment. The program protects only those who take a few minutes to sign up for it before leaving town.
The purpose is to deter property crimes by having police officers monitor the exterior of properties on a regular basis. To have one’s quarters checked, a resident must obtain and complete an information worksheet.
Download the form by clicking below or go by the PMO front desk to pick one up, and then turn in completed form to the PMO front desk.
Residents who use the House Watch Program are able to conduct business travel or go on vacation and enjoy themselves without worrying about the safety of their quarters.
The PMO uses a control sheet for each residence on its watch list. Every time an officer checks the residence, the date and time are recorded.
We check windows and doors. Sometimes we do surveillance of places where people are gone.
Police know from experience that their “just being seen is a deterrent in itself.”
In addition to having PMO officers conduct exterior checks, there are other steps residents may take to safeguard their property:
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery or have a neighbor pick the deliveries up regularly.
- Leave shades or blinds in their normal positions.
- Use automatic timers on lights so they will turn on and off at random times in different rooms.
- Leave a key with a trusted neighbor in case of an emergency.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Remove valuables from any vehicle left behind and be sure it is locked.
- Have someone park a car in your driveway occasionally.
- Arrange to have the lawn mowed (or snow shoveled in the winter).
- Shut and lock the garage door.
- Store jewelry and other valuables in places other than the master bedroom, the first place a burglar checks.
- Ask a neighbor to put your garbage cans out on pick-up days.
Phone: (804) 734-7400