Fort Lee’s Welcome Center is adjacent to the Lee Gate, just off Route 36, named in honor of Major General Harry L. Dukes
500 Lee Ave, Bldg 5228
Fort Lee Va. 23801
Today, Dukes Welcome Center houses Physical Security, the DA Security Guards and the Visitor Information Office
Requirements for Visitor Entry
- ALARACT 343/2011 eliminated vehicle registration requirement for DoD decals as a mandatory requirement for access to military installations.
- Effective 1 Sep 2012, All persons will be required to show a Common Access Card, a Military identification card, or approved Government issued identification such as State Drivers License or State Issued identification to gain access onto Fort Lee.
All adults are required to possess valid ID. All juveniles without valid ID must be accompanied by an adult family member.
Requirements for Operation of Vehicles on the Installation:
Drivers must be able to show
- Valid driver’s license
- Current vehicle registration
- Proof of current insurance
For DoD Decals or Extended Passes Department of Defense decals on privately owned vehicles will no longer be issued after 31 August 2012
ABOUT MAJOR GENERAL HARRY L. DUKES JR.
Major General Harry L. Dukes Jr. (1928-1987) the 38th Quartermaster General. MG Dukes was born 29 October 1928 in Newberry, South Carolina, and entered the U.S. Army as an enlisted soldier here at Camp Lee during World War II. Commissioned a second lieutenant in 1952, he held various assignments as an Artilleryman before transferring to the Quartermaster Corps. During his 32 years active duty service as a Quartermaster officer MG Dukes commanded the 96th S&S Battalion in Vietnam, Umatilla Army Depot in Oregon, and the Sacramento Army Depot; and was Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army Troop Support Command is St. Louis. MG Dukes also served in Europe, at the Pentagon in Washington, and at TRADOC Headquarters in Ft Monroe, Virginia. MG Dukes commanded the Quartermaster Brigade at Fort Lee, and in his last assignment before retiring in 1984, he was Commander, U.S. Army Quartermaster Center and Fort Lee. The Building that bears his name was dedicated in April 1990, and sits on a piece of roadway that was the original entrance to Camp Lee – the very same entrance Private Dukes used as he entered the installation for the very first time just months after Pearl Harbor.
Phone: (804) 734-4593
Directory Assistance: (804) 765-3000
Post Locator: (804) 734-6855
Fort Lee Status Hotline: (804) 765-2679
Visit the Visitor Information Facebook Page