Mission: To provide a smooth transition for Fort Lee Soldiers who are separating from the Army, ensure final disposition of records, and counsel Soldiers on benefits.
Location, Hours and Contact Information
Soldier Support Center
Bldg 3400, Room 135
1401 B Ave
Fort Lee, VA 23801-1724
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed federal holidays)
Phone: (804) 734-7790; DSN: 687
Fax: (804) 734-7877; DSN: 687
Email the Transition Center
- Fort Lee activities out-processing requirements and points of contact
- Veteran's Services and Benefits
Operating Procedures by Category
Expiration of Term of Service (ETS)
- Attend a mandatory ETS briefing, which takes place on the second Tuesday every month in the Soldier Support Center, Room 125/125A at 0800
- If taking transitional leave, provide a leave form (DA Form 31) 45 days prior to the leave start date
- Separation orders are published 60 to 90 days prior to the ETS/ESA date
- The unit clerk signs for and picks up the orders in the Soldier Support Center's Transition Center
Separation Due to Physical Disabilities
- The Transition Center receives electronic approval from HQDA, Physical Disabilities Branch and notifies the physical evaluation liaison officer.
- The physical evaluation liaison officer is located in the Kenner Army Hospital at (804) 734-9349.
- The liaison will contact the Soldier's unit and provide the "no later date" when the Soldier must separate and request a leave form (DA Form 31) for permissive TDY (PTDY).
- The Soldier will handcarry a copy of leave form (DA Form 31) which indicates PTDY and actual separation date to Transition Center.
- Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) processing (DA Form 199) must be hand-carried to the Transition Center. Orders will be published within 24 to 48 hours.
Company-Grade and Warrant Officer Separations
Company-grade (LT and CPT) and Warrant Officers who are separating must report to the Reserve Counselor in the Retention Office for counseling prior to separation.
Officer Basic Course (OBC) Officers
OBC Officers who attend a course at another military installation prior to reporting to Fort Lee for their Basic Course must ensure their reassignment orders cover attendance at both courses to prevent a break in service. If not, there will be a discrepancy in their DD Form 214, Military Service Record. For additional information contact, the Fort Lee Transition Center prior to arriving at Fort Lee.
Criteria determined on a case-by-case basis.
In accordance with ALARACT 037/2017 dated 111723Z May 17, effective 1 June 2017, the Army suspends the Enlisted Voluntary Early Separation Program.
NETCOM mandated that transmitting documents via digital senders and email to file is no longer acceptable. The only secure option for electronically transmitting the separation packet is the web upload; this secures the document being sent to iPERMS. Effective January 7, 2013, all transition centers are required to use the web upload when transmitting separation packets. Digital signatures are applied with the Common Access Card (CAC).
If you have any problems with this webpage, email the webmaster.