Retirement Services Office
Mission: To provide information and services on benefits and entitlements to active duty Soldiers and families preparing for retirement and to retirees and families
Location, Hours and Contact Information
Soldier Support Center
Bldg 3400, Room 107
1401 B Ave
Fort Lee, VA 23801-1724
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(closed federal holidays)
Phone: (804) 734-6973/7345; DSN: 687
Fax: (804) 734-7395; DSN: 687
Pre-Retirement Briefings: Please call the RSO at (804) 734-6973/6555 for an appointment.
Retirement Ceremonies: Please call the Installation Operations Center at (804) 765-2676 for more information.
Survivor Benefit Plan: Please call for an appointment.
Upcoming events and newsletters
Pre-retirement seminar: 24 April 2015 and 29 August 2015, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Soldier Support Center Auditorium
Retiree council meetings: Date to be determined, 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., Soldier Support Center Room 106
The Retirement Services Office supports nearly 19,000 retirees.
- Coordinates, conducts, and facilitates detailed periodic pre-retirement and survivor benefit plan (SBP) group briefings for all retiring Soldiers; Family members are highly encouraged to attend).
- Counsels Soldiers and Family members concerning retirement rights, benefits, and privileges.
- Conducts one-on-one SBP counseling for all retiring Soldiers and their Family members.
- Conducts one-on-one (desk-side) pre-retirement briefings (mandatory).
- Assists retiring Soldiers and Family members with completion of the DD Form 2656 (Data for Payment of Retired Personnel).
- Processes the DD Form 2656 electronically using TRANSPROC to the Department of Defense Finance and Accounting Services, Cleveland (DFAS-CL).
- Provides CSB/REDUX retirement pay option counseling, and processing of the CSB/REDUX pay option election form, DD Form 2839 (If assigned as the Installation CSB/REDUX Program Manager).
- Other services and related information (if assigned those duties) related to pre-retirement services, such as retirement application processing, retirement orders and DD Form 214 processing, and final out-processing procedures.
- Counsels and assists survivors of retired Soldiers and survivors of Soldiers who died on active duty regarding their SBP options, entitlements, and the proper processing of their SBP elections. The session includes counseling on Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and its relationship to SBP.
- Publishes and posts retiree newsletters on the website.
- Publishes periodic articles for installation and local newspapers.
- Conducts an annual Retiree Appreciation Day (RAD).
- Provides information and filing assistance for the "Annuities for Certain Military Surviving Spouses" -or ACMSS, also known as "Forgotten Widows".
- Provides information and assistance to Soldiers, spouses, and former spouses regarding the Uniformed Services Former Spouse's Protection Act (USFSPA).
- Assists/advises retired Soldiers in understanding and applying for combat-related special compensation (CRSC).
- Provides information to retired Soldiers on concurrent retirement and disability payments (CRDP).
- Assists retired Soldiers and Family members in obtaining copies of lost documents (i.e., DD Form 214, retirement orders, and medical records), re-issuance of military awards, and issuance of military ID Cards.
- Provides retired Soldiers and their Families with information and referrals on a myriad of other benefits and entitlements such as Veterans Affairs (VA), TRICARE medical and dental, and Social Security and Medicare benefits.
Other Post-Retirement Services
The following services are provided using the Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Cleveland (DFAS-CL) Defense Retired Annuity Pay System (DRAS):
- View retired Soldier’s pay account
- View annuitants pay account
- Change allotments
- Change beneficiary information
- Change mailing address
- Change bank information
- Change tax filing and withholding status
- Request copies of the 1099-R form for tax filing purposes
- Request copies of the Retired Account Statement
- Army Community Services
- Army G1 Website
- Army Reserve Personnel Command
- Army Retirement Services
- Kenner Army Clinic: 1-866-645-4584
- Missing Records/Awards
- Retiree Dental Plan
- Social Security Administration
- Soldier for Life-Transition Assistance Program
- Veteran's Services and Benefits
- Worldwide Relocation Information
- Worldwide Relocation Tools
- DA Form 4187
- DA Form 4187-1
- DD Form 214
- DD Form 2860 (Combat Related Special Compensation)
- Endorsement memorandum
- Officer retirement request
- Fort Lee activities out-processing requirements and points of contact
If you have problems with the webpage, email the webmaster.