Passport Office


The Fort Lee Passport Office serves as the primary point of contact in the central Virginia area for current Department of Defense (DoD) employees and military dependents seeking to obtain a United States Official, Diplomatic, or no-fee passport and/or Official visa for DoD business.

All applications for processing of passports or visas will be conducted by appointment only.

  • Official and Diplomatic passports are no-fee passports. The Fort Lee Passport Office does not process applications for tourist passports.
  • You may only use your no-fee passport when traveling overseas in discharge of your official duties.
  • For personal travel, you must use a regular-fee tourist passport.
  • You may have both a valid tourist passport and a valid no-fee passport at the same time.
  • Dependents authorized to accompany you on official travel must have their own no-fee passports.

Official Passport Application

DoD employees and service members who will travel on official business to a country which requires an Official, Diplomatic, or no-fee passports should apply for them at their local military installation. The Fort Lee Passport Office processes applications for passports for official travel at no cost to the employee, service member, or their authorized dependents. Each passport application requires the following five items:

Effective February 1, 2008, all DoD applicants are required to fill out a passport application or or renewal online. All applications MUST include the 2D barcode which will appear on the left front page when printed.

There are two types of U.S. passport applications:

DS-11: Application for a U.S. passport

This form should be used if an applicant never had a U.S. passport or was under the age of 16 at the time the previous U.S. passport was issued. This form is also used if an applicant’s previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago or if the most recent U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged.

DS-82: U.S. passport renewal application

This form should be used if an applicant is over the age of 16, has a passport issued less than 15 years ago, and uses the same name listed in the most recent U.S. passport.

DS-64: Statement regarding a lost or stolen passport

This form should be submitted with the DS-11 to apply for a new passport book when a valid passport was lost, stolen, altered, or mutilated.

Head Photo

U.S. passport applications require two passport photos of the applicant taken within the last six months in the United States; the photos should reflect the applicant's current appearance.

Each photo must be 2x2 inches in overall size and between 1 inch and 1-3/8 inches from the top of the head to the bottom of the chin. Photos should meet the following standards:

  • Must be taken against a white or off-white background
  • No military or law enforcement uniforms
  • No hats or headgear unless for religious or medical reasons
  • No dark or tinted glasses unless for medical reasons

Many drug stores and pharmacies take passport photos for a small fee.

Each applicant must provide official proof of U.S. citizenship along with a clear copy of the same. All evidence must be originals; hospital record, copies, and copies certified by a notary public are not acceptable. All evidence will be returned to the applicant with the completed passport.

Examples of U.S. citizenship evidence:

  • State or City Issued Birth Certificate:
    The Birth Certificate must show the full name of the parent(s); be issued by the office of vital statistics of the state, county, or city where the birth occurred; indicate the date and place of birth; bear the embossed, impressed, multi-colored, or raised seal and signature of the issuing authority; and indicate a registration or file date within one year of birth.
  • Previous Full-Validity U.S. Passport / Must not be issued more than 15 years previously
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • U.S. Census Records
  • Consular Report of Birth
  • Certificate of Citizenship
Common Access Card

Each applicant must provide copies of a photo ID. Copies should be enlarged, in color, and include the front and back of each ID card on a single-sided copy. All ID cards must be valid.

Applicants under the age of 16 must provide one form of ID from each parent.

Examples of acceptable forms of ID:

  • CAC card/dependent ID card
  • Driver’s license/State ID card
  • Retired DoD ID card
  • Old passport (not issued more than 15 years ago)

Family members over the age of 13 must have a valid military dependent ID card in their possession when applying for passports.

Applicants must provide supporting documentation that DoD ordered them to travel overseas on official business. Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders will identify the directive for travel to a destination requiring a passport.

The Fort Lee Passport Office will accept dependent passport applications prior to approval of command sponsorship, but completed passports will not be issued until the Passport Office receives the approval of the command sponsorship.*

Supporting documentation:


Orders should include the name, grade/rank, destination, dates of travel, and purpose of the travel.

Alternative documentation in lieu of orders

If applicants have not received their orders yet, they can provide other documentation to justify their need for a no-fee passport:

  • EDAS printout with projected assignment
  • Request For Orders (RFO)
  • ERBERB/ORB with projected assignment

Supporting documentation to request an expedited passport (under 30 days processing time)

Applicants who require their passport with less than 30 days processing time may submit a memorandum that requests an expedited passport and includes a General Officer or SES endorsement. If approved, the State Department is only required to expedite requests for Active Duty military and DoD Civilians, not authorized dependents.

*If the Passport Office does not receive approval of the command sponsorship within 45 days after the completed passport arrives, the passport will be returned to the State Department for destruction.

Once you have obtained all the required documents, photos, copies, and supporting documentation, you may request an appointment via email or call (804) 734-7279 or (804) 734-6867.

Visa Application

Certain countries require a visa for entry or temporary stay. A visa is a stamp or impression placed on a page of a valid passport by a foreign embassy or consulate which grants permission, as of the date issued, to the applicant to enter or remain in that country for a specific period of time. To check if you need a visa, please see the Foreign Clearance Guide.

Helpful Resources


Soldier Support Center
Bldg 3400
Room 203B
1401 B Ave Fort Lee, VA 23801-1724

Hours of Operation

By appointment only

(closed federal holidays)

Contact Information

Email the Passport Office

Phone: (804) 734-7279 or (804) 734-6867

Find us on Facebook!

Last Updated: 12/22/2017 3:31:25 PM

Disclaimer for External Links
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Army of this Web site or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the U.S. Army does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD Web site.