Casualty Assistance Center
Mission: To provide compassionate, unwavering commitment to the Families of our fallen Soldiers, retirees and veterans.
Location, Hours and Contact Information
Soldier Support Center
Bldg 3400, Room 202
1401 B Ave
Fort Lee, VA 23801-1724
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(closed federal holidays)
Phone: (804) 734-6606; DSN: 687
Fax: (804) 734-6734; DSN: 687
Email the Casualty Assistance Center.
Description:The CAC serves as the primary point of contact for surviving spouses of retired and active service members. The staff handles notification of next-of-kin, coordinates casualty assistance officers, and briefs surviving Family members on their benefits.also arranges military honors with funeral homes for all deceased Army personnel (active duty, retirees, veterans)
Casualty Notification/Assistance Officers (CNO/CAO) Training
Casualty notification/assistance officers must attend a three-day certification course prior to performing those services. The CAC's training instructor offers this course every month. View the training schedule.
To register, email the casualty training officer or call (804) 734-6038.
Benefits and Entitlements
Surviving spouses of retired and active Soldiers may receive casualty assistance through three methods:
- Live assistance. The benefits coordinator serves as a survivor's advocate who processes benefit claims, coordinates services from support organizations, and answers questions related to entitlements.
- Guided assistance. The CAC can also arrange for a casualty assistance officer (CAO) to visit the survivor at a location of choice. The CAO will assist with completion of the forms and serve as a liaison between the surivivor and the benefits coordinator.
- Distance assistance. The benefits coordinator can mail the survivor a customized packet of forms and information that pertain to the survivor's specific situation. The survivor can mail the forms directly to individual offices or return the entire packet to the Benefits Coordinator for processing. View the forms included in the packet.
Contact the Benefits Coordinator via email or phone at (804) 734-6985.
The CAC coordinates military funeral honors for eligible deceased veterans, retirees and active duty Soldiers in the Fort Lee area of responsibility. To request a military honors funeral, complete the Funeral Honors Request Form and email or fax the request to (804) 734-6734.
Contact the memorial affairs coordinator via email or phone at (804) 734-6606.
The mortuary affairs coordinator ensures the proper care and disposition of a Soldier's remains and personal effects. The CAC also prepares orders for eligible survivors to travel at government expense to their Soldier's funeral and/or unit memorial.
Contact the mortuary affairs coordinator via email or phone at (804) 734-6724.
- Department of the Army Casualty Website
- Casualty Notification Officer (CNO) Guide
- Guide for Survivors of Deceased Retirees
- Casualty Assistance Center Locator
If you have problems, email the webmaster.