Casualty Assistance Center
The Casualty Assistance Center (CAC) serves as the primary point of contact for surviving spouses of retired and active service members. The staff handles notification of next-of-kin, coordinates casualty assistance officers, and briefs surviving Family Members on their benefits.
The CAC also arranges military honors with funeral homes for all deceased Army personnel (active duty, retirees, veterans).
Location, Hours and Contact Information
Soldier Support Center
1401 B Avenue, Bldg 3400, Room 202
Fort Lee, VA 23801-1724
Hours: 0730 - 1630 Monday through Friday (closed Federal Holidays)
Casualty Notification/Assistance Officers (CNO/CAO) Training
Casualty Notification/Assistance Officers must attend a two-day certification course prior to performing those services. The CAC's training instructor offers this course every month - click here for the schedule.
To register, email USArmy.Lee.IMCOM.mbx.Leee-IMA-CAS@mail.mil or call 804-734-6038.
Benefits and Entitlements
Surviving spouses of retired and active Soldiers may receive casualty assistance through three methods:
- Live Assistance. The Benefits Coordinator serves as a survivor's advocate who processes benefit claims, coordinates services from support organizations, and answers questions related to entitlements.
- Guided Assistance. The CAC can also arrange for a Casualty Assistance Officer (CAO) to visit the survivor at a location of choice. The CAO will assist with completion of the forms and serve as a liaison between the surivivor and the Benefits Coordinator.
- Distance Assistance. The Benefits Coordinator can mail the survivor a customized packet of forms and information which pertain to the survivor's specific situation. The survivor can mail the forms directly to individual offices or return the entire packet to the Benefits Coordinator for processing. Click here to access the forms included in the packet.
Contact the Benefits Coordinator via email or phone at 804-734-6985.
The CAC coordinates military funeral honors for eligible deceased veterans, retirees and active duty Soldiers in the Fort Lee area of responsibility. To request a military honors funeral, complete the Funeral Honors Request Form and email or fax the request to 804-734-6734.
Contact the Memorial Affairs Coordinator via email or phone at 804-734-6606.
The Mortuary Affairs Coordinator ensures the proper care and disposition of a Soldier's remains and personal effects. The CAC also prepares orders for eligible survivors to travel at government expense to their Soldier's funeral and/or unit memorial.
Contact the Mortuary Affairs Coordinator via email or phone at 804-734-6724.
- Department of the Army Casualty Website
- CNO Guide
- Guide for Survivors of Deceased Retirees (MS Word or Adobe PDF)
- Casualty Assistance Center Locator
If you have problems, click here to email the webmaster.