Force Protection Condition
There are five FPCONs:
(1) FPCON NORMAL. Applies when a general global threat of possible terrorist activity exists and warrants a routine security posture. As a minimum, access control will be conducted at all DOD installations and facilities.
(2) FPCON ALPHA. Applies when there is an increased general threat of possible terrorist activity against personnel or facilities, and the nature and extent of the threat are unpredictable.
(3) FPCON BRAVO. Applies when an increased or more predictable threat of terrorist activity exists.
(4) FPCON CHARLIE. Applies when an incident occurs or intelligence is received indicating some form of terrorist action or targeting against personnel or facilities is likely.
(5) FPCON DELTA. Applies in the immediate area where a terrorist attack has occurred or when intelligence has been received that terrorist action against a specific location or person is imminent. This FPCON is usually declared as a localized condition.